Union School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where is my attendance area or home school?

         Please use the School Finder web tool to locate your school of residence.

2. How do I register?

Registration is a two-part process. Both parts must be completed prior to a student being considered enrolled in a USD School. Part I is completed online by accessing our web site at www.unionsd.org.  Once Part I is completed, then Part II is to bring the required paperwork (residency, immunization records, age verification, etc.) to the HOME school (not to the District Office).

You do not need to re-register each year, only register the first year you enter USD Schools.  

3. After I register on-line, do I still need to bring in any forms?

Yes. Enrollment is not accepted or finalized until you bring in the information listed below to your home school.

1) 3 PROOFS OF DISTRICT RESIDENCE - Proofs of residency

2) AGE VERIFICATION DOCUMENT (Birth Certificate, certified birth record, valid passport, baptismal certificate) - (No copies accepted)

3) IMMUNIZATION RECORDS with TB TEST PROOF or completion of a TB RISK ASSESSMENT FORM obtained by your doctor. This is required by the Santa Clara Health Department for all students entering school for the first time, and those who are entering from anywhere other than Santa Clara County.

For more general immunization information, visit http://www.shotsforschool.org or call the Public Health Information Line at (408) 885 - 3980. 

4. What if I do not have all of the required forms?

In order for Registration to be complete, you will need to provide the Three (3) Proofs of Residency and the Child's original Age Verification Document. TB and Immunization Record(s)  may be submitted later, as long as they are submitted prior to the first day of school attendance. 

5. When does registration start? When does registration end?

Registration starts in the month of February for the upcoming school year. Registration is  accepted all year for new students entering school during the current school year

6. Do you have "Open Enrollment"?

Open Enrollment, which we call Intra-district Transfers, should be submitted between January 1st and March 1st for the upcoming school year to be included in the lottery for open spaces. We do accept Intra-district Transfers after March 1st, however, they will not be included in the lottery and will be put on a waiting list. Transfer approvals and denials are not made until the week before school starts and could be as late as the first week of school.

7. My child has been attending a private or charter school. Do they have priority in the registration process?

Students enrolling for the first time in the Union School District are placed in their school of residence at the time of enrollment if space is available.

8. May I request a specific school?

Union School District approves requests depending on available space and in compliance with California law and Governing Board policies. Detailed information regarding placement priorities and Open Enrollment procedures accompany all Intra-district Transfer request forms.

9. We will be moving into the Union School District area but do not yet have a residence. When can I register my child for school?

Residency must first be established prior to enrolling your child in USD schools.

10. We will close on the purchase of a home in the Union School District just prior to or just after school starts. Can I register my child for school?

You must first establish residency in the district, then you may enroll your student in Union School District.

11. I have changed addresses. What should I do?

Students who change their legal residence during the school year need to notify their home school of their new residential address. If you still reside within USD boundaries, check the School Finder address verification system to verify your address and school of residence. If your school of residence has changed according to your new address, you must apply and be approved for an Intra-district Transfer to remain at your school of attendance. If you reside outside USD boundaries, you will need to apply for an Inter-district Transfer from your district of residence.

12. We have just moved into the Union School District and have enrolled my child in school. Is it guaranteed that my child will be able to attend our home school?

All incoming school students are assigned to their school of residence. Students are placed in schools on a space-available basis. If your school of residence is full at the time you enroll your child, your child may be “overflowed” to another school within the district.

13. When and how will I know if my child is “overflowed” to another school?

When you register your child at your school of residence, the school administrative assistant will contact the District Office to determine where space is available for your child and will let you know as soon as possible, by phone.

14. My child has been "overflowed" to another elementary school. What is the District’s policy?

If your child was sent to another school because of space, your child will be guaranteed a spot in your school of residence the following year. If you wish for your child to remain at the overflow school permanently, you will need to apply and be approved for an Intra-district Transfer.

15. I live in the Union School District and I want to Home School my child. How do I notify the District and what are the next steps?

You will need to apply for an Inter-district Transfer to another district that has a “Home School Coordinator”. The Inter-district Transfer forms are available at the Union School District Office.

16. I would like my child to attend a school other than our home school. How should I proceed?

Complete an Intra-district Transfer request and turn it in at the District Office. USD approves requests on a space-available basis and in compliance with the California law and Governing Board policies. The time period for Intra-district Transfer requests to be included on the lottery is from January 1st to March 1st for the upcoming school year. Those requests received after March 1st will be placed on a waiting list. Transfers are not determined (approved or denied) until the week before school starts and could be as late as the first week of school. Please note that USD does not guarantee transfers for siblings. Each student must apply for and Intra-district Transfer.

17. If I move out of the Union School District during the school year, can my child remain at their current USD school for the remainder of the year?

You will need to apply for an Inter-district Transfer request from your District of Residence. Transfers are approved on a space-available basis. Also considered are the student’s academic performance, behavior, and satisfactory attendance.

18. I live outside of the Union School District and would like my child to attend a USD school. How do I register them for a USD school?

First request an Inter-District Transfer from your home district. Your District of Residence must first approve your transfer. Due to space and enrollment considerations, Union School District may limit the number of incoming Inter-District Transfers. School registration is not accepted unless an Inter-district Transfer has been approved.

19. How will I know if my Inter-District Transfer has been approved?

You will be notified by phone of the status of your Inter-district Transfer.

20. My child is attending a USD school on an Intra or Inter-District Transfer. Do I have to reapply each year?

Inter (those coming from outside the USD) and Intra (those living within USD boundaries, but requesting a different school) district Transfers for Elementary school students are valid for Kindergarten through 5th grade. A new request will need to be made for students entering Middle School. All transfers are approved on a space-available basis.  Other considerations include the student’s attendance record, behavior, and academic progress. Transfers applied for the upcoming school year will not be determined (approved or denied) until the week before school starts and could be as late as the first week of school. Some districts require that a new transfer request is completed each year. Check with your District of Residence.

21. Are the Intra and Inter-district Transfer request forms available online?

No. Please pick up these forms at the Union School District Office located at 5175 Union Avenue in San Jose.

22. Which schools have before and after school care?

The following schools have after school care on campus: Alta Vista, Carlton, Guadalupe, Lietz, Noddin, and Oster Elementary. Check each school’s website for more information.