Educational Services > Absence from School

Absence from School

Heather Scharer

Director, Assessment & Accountability

Annie Murphy

Independent Study

Director, Learning & Innovation

Johanna Reveno


Short Term Independent Study

Independent Study may be requested if your child is unable to attend school due to an event or family situation. Short term independent studies are those that are fewer than 15 days. Through a signed contract, the child under the guidance of the parent, agrees to complete the classwork assignments, projects and homework for the five or more days of missed attendance. Upon grading and approval that all assignments have been completed satisfactorily, the teacher will note the successful completion of the Independent Study Work. Forms are available from the school administrative assistant.

Learn more about the long term independent study option for the 2021-22 school year.

Student Attendance Review Board (SARB)

California Education Code 48320 authorizes school districts to meet with students and their family along with law enforcement and community resources to address individual student attendance issues. Union and Cambrian School Districts participate in a joint SARB which meets monthly. Participants include administrative representatives from the school districts, a district nurse, a parent representative, a member of the San Jose Police Department and other community agencies as necessary.